Today I want to pass on 9 great reflections I harvested from the Brainpickings newsletter. I subscribe to this newsletter and it always challenges me mentally to think outside the box. You can find it at Brainpickings.org.
1. Allow yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind.
It is infinitely better to understand than to always be right
2. Do nothing for prestige or status or money or approval alone.
As Paul Graham observed “prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. It causes you to work not on what you like, but what you’d like to like”
3. Be generous
4. Build pockets of stillness in your life
Meditate. There is a creative purpose to daydreaming that allows for unconscious processing
5. When people try to tell you who YOU ARE, don’t believe them
You are the only custodian of your integrity and what people think reveals more about them than it does you!
6. Presence is far more intricate and rewarding an art than productivity
The cult of productivity has its place, but worshipping at its altar daily robs us of the very capacity for joy and wonder that makes life worth living
7. Expect anything worthwhile to take a long time
Borrowed from Debbie Millman, the myth of overnight success is just that, a myth. The real magic of making one’s character and destiny unfolds in the blossoming of our ideas and self through retuning our definition of success
8. Seek out what magnifies your spirit
Find the people, ideas, books and values that magnify your spirit and hold on to them and visit them often
9. Don’t be afraid to be an idealist
The world tells us that the road to success lies in catering to existing demands. Supplying the right ideas and values creates its own demands making us better in the long run and those around us as well!
(Thanks to Brainpickings.org for supplying these thoughts!!)